Today, India got its 14th President- Ram Nath Kovind just now took oath in the Central hall of parliament to become India’s 14th President. Chief Justice of India Justice JS Khehar administered the oath of office to Kovind.
After taking oath, Ram Nath Kovind exchanged seats with current president Pranab Mukherjee. A 21-gun salute was also fired in honour of the new president.
14 Things to know about our India’s New President –
1. Born on Oct 1, 1945 in Kanpur
2. A Commerce Graduate and a Lawyer by profession
3. Practiced in Delhi High Court and Supreme court for 16 years
4. Served as private secretary to then PM Morarji Desai in 1977
5. Lost Lok Sabha Elections twice in 1990 and 2007.
6. Became President of BJP Dalit Morcha from 1998-2002
7. Also, the President of Koli Samaj
8. Member of the board of Governors of IIM-Kolkata
9. Served consecutively 2 terms in Rajyasabha from 1994-2006
10. Represented India in United Nations General Assembly in 2002
11. He had donated his ancestral house in his native
village in Kanpur as community house to the village.
12. He was appointed as Governor of Bihar in 2015
13. 20 July2017 Elected as President of India
14. 25th July 2017 takes oath as 14th President of India