January, that time of the year when everybody be it Jaipurites or tourists always ask for this one place, Jal Mahal. Yes! Jal Mahal is in Jaipur, the capital city of Rajasthan and no, it is not built on any island like other water palaces. This 5 storied building continues to stand still in Man Sagar Lake with 4 floors immersed in water and dare anyone come near it. You can watch, behold the sight and, capture its beauty only from a distance as it is too introverted to let anybody close to it. We’re sure you must have visited this eyeful multiple of times, but let’s enlighten you today on these unknown facts about your favourite “Water Palace”.
- Initially, Jal Mahal welcomed the royal family with open arms and let them have a gala time here. Back then it served as a host to duck hunting parties for the royals. Years passed by and it started getting shy. And now, you can only have a look at it wondering what makes this architectural marvel stand tall in the water body.
- Come February, and you can spot large number of migratory birds dancing here and there, enjoying the serenity of water at Jal Mahal. This once again revives the liveliness in it.
- Chameli Bagh of Jal Mahal was a grand spectacle to watch back when beautiful dance and musical performances painted this splendor in its own colours.
- Built in red sandstone, Jal Mahal is one of the most photographed monuments in Pink City. With tranquil waters by the side and birds sitting on top of the chattris giving it a picturesque view, tourists and localites love to spend their soothing evenings here, clicking selfies with it in the backdrop.
- Catch the sight of this exquisiteness this weekend with your loved ones, but only from the outside as no one can actually go inside it to see it.
Most people view the architectural brilliance of Jal Mahal from across the Jaipur-Delhi Road but if you take a walk for a kilometre or two into the valley behind the lake, its true beauty will reveal.
Did we just make you love Jal Mahal even more? If yes, then we think we have sorted your weekend evening plans! 😉