Mahatma Gandhi rightly said, “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” This saying stands so true especially in these times of Covid-19 for ‘jaan hai toh jahan hai’! And thankfully, we Jaipurities are blessed for Jaipur has a bundle of local fruits available that are high on nutrition and vitamins and a great way to boost up your immunity; thus, letting you fight all kinds of viruses. Jaipur is also called ‘Gulaabi Nagari’ for all the good reasons. It is a city that is home to fruits of all colours, thus making our refrigerators and plates colourful.
Ever wondered why doctors and nutritionists always insist on eating seasonal fruits and vegetables? We at Jaipur Beat bring to you the fruitilicious nutrition you should munch on and can locally source in the Pink City – Jaipur! In this blog, we tell you the local fruits you should grab on from the city and why:
- Mangoes: Widely known as the ‘king’ of fruits; mango is the king in terms of the health benefits it offers too. Starting from prevention to serious illness like cancer and anaemia; mangoes aid in weight loss, help in building the immune system and are a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6 and other B Vitamins, Potassium, Magnesium, Copper and healthy fibre.
- Muskmelons: This potassium-rich fruit is widely available in the streets of Jaipur and is good for eyesight, is packed with skin-friendly collagen, it also improves hair growth, regulates blood pressure, promotes digestion and is a good source of Vitamin A and C – enough to support your bodies daily requirements.
- Jamun (Blackberries): Rich source of iron and Vitamin C, Pink City thellas (stalls) are filled with these sweet and sour delicacies. This tasty summer fruit replenishes your body with high energy levels and is an excellent source of carbohydrates, protein, magnesium, potassium and few phytochemicals. Ayurveda strongly recommends this berry for treating various conditions related to heart, arthritis, asthma, stomach pain, bowel spasm, flatulence and dysentery.
- Phalse (Falsa): Tangy and sweet in taste phalsa (falsa or Grewia Asiatica), when eaten with a little salt and black pepper or in the form of juice, acts as a natural cooling agent for our bodies. This fruit helps in treating pain, diarrhoea, rheumatism, and arthritis. It also relieves vaginal burning and other urinary troubles has an antibiotic effect and relieves skin inflammations. Luckily available in Jaipur, consume it at least once a week.
- Bel (Wood Apple): This sweet aromatic natural healing fruit is again locally available in Jaipur during summers and makes for a great juicy retreat. A boaster for your digestion, bel helps in preventing and curing several stomach ailments like constipation, diarrhoea, indigestion, ulcer, piles. It is also a natural detoxifying agent and thus, prevents kidney and liver dysfunctions.
- Coconut water: It is like having 5 medicines or just one coconut water – that’s the strength it holds. With very little fat and 90% water, coconut water is supremely rich in magnesium, potassium, manganese, sodium, vitamin C, protein and fibre too. So after a sweaty day, if you wish to rehydrate, have chilled coconut water (place it in the fridge in the morning and have it by evening) to reduce your anxieties and stress.
- Litchis: Primarily composed of water and carbs, litchis are super juicy-licious and a great way to tantalize your taste buds. Summer is at its peak and having a bunch of these cool summer fruit is the best way to deal with the heat. Litchi like other citrus fruits is a good source of vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, potassium and copper.
All these summery fruits are very watery in nature in order to keep our bodies rejuvenated and hydrated in this scorching heat. Apart from this, eating food out of season makes little sense economically, environmentally, nutritionally and you are also benefiting the society in large especially local farmers whose livelihoods depend on the local produce they do. Thus, phal khao, sehat banao aur garmi se raahat pao!