While India is grappling with imminent danger that the virus poses to the humanity, there are few key measures that people should take to fight this pandemic. While it is crucial to mention certain necessary things like washing your hands frequently, using alcohol sanitizer and wearing a mask; Improving your immunity is also extremely important at this juncture.
Complications of COVID aggravates with age because the general immunity reduces as you get older especially for individuals with co-morbid illnesses. Thus, it is important for both younger and older generations to build up their immunity.
Below are a few foods that help in improving your immunity. We are also jotting down some interesting and scrumptious recipes that you can make using these foods/ingredients.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is a natural probiotic and aids in the formation of good bacteria in our body. It is high in protein, calcium, vitamins and enhances the gut microbiota.
Recipe of Greek Yogurt Coleslaw
Ingredients – I shredded cabbage, 1 cup shredded carrots, ½ cup thinly sliced green onions, 2/3 cups plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 2 tablespoons warm honey, ¼ tsp salt and freshly-cracked black pepper.
Instructions – Combine the cabbage, carrot and green onions in a large bowl and toss. Then in a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Taste and season with extra salt and peer if needed. Finally pour the Greek yogurt mixture into the cabbage mixture and toss until evenly combine. Voila, it’s ready to be served immediately.
2. Turmeric: The golden spice Turmeric is known for its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin, the compound present in turmeric is a very potent agent and aids in healing of wounds and infections. This is the reason; it is often suggested to have turmeric milk.
Recipe of Turmeric Smoothie Bowl
Ingredients – 2 tsp ground turmeric or 3 fresh turmeric, 3 tbsp coconut milk yogurt, 50gms oats, 1 tbsp cashew butter (or a handful of cashews), 2 bananas (peeled and roughly chopped), ½ tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tbsp chia seeds or chopped nuts.
Instructions – Peel the turmeric root if using fresh turmeric or else use 2 tsp ground turmeric. Put all the ingredients in a blender with 600 ML water and blend until smooth. Serve in a bowl with chia seeds and add some chopped nuts sprinkled over.
3. Spinach: It contains several vitamins and minerals, including potassium, magnesium, and vitamins B6, B9, and E. It is an extremely nutrient-rich vegetable.
Recipe of Creamed Spinach
Ingredients – 600 grams of baby spinach, 2tbsp butter, ½ medium onion finely chopped, 2 cloves minced garlic, ½ cup milk, ¼ cup heavy cream, 100 grams cream cheese, salt, pepper, ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Instructions – Cook spinach for 10 minutes in a large pot of boiling water. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water. When cool enough to handle drain out as much excess water as possible. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add milk, heavy cram and cream cheese to it and simmer until melted. Season with salt and pepper and finally add spinach and parmesan and stir to combine.
4. Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruits are high in vitamin C, a nutrient known to help give your immune system a boost. It encourages your immune system to produce white blood cells, which are necessary to fight infections. Some citrus fruits are oranges, key limes, grapefruit, lemons etc.
Recipe of Cardamom Citrus Fruit Salad
Ingredients – 1 large grapefruit, 3 oranges or combination of mandarin oranges or tangerines, ¼ cup honey, 2tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom.
Instructions – Peel and cut the fruits. Drain off any excess juice from the fruits into a small saucepan. Add the lime juice, honey and cardamom to the sauce pan. Bring it to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes and then remove from heat and let it cool. Pour over fruit mixture and gently fold in so that all the fruit is coated. Let stand for 15 minutes or chill until ready to serve.
5. Chicken: Chicken has long been considered a healthy alternative to red meat. And it is indeed low in saturated fat, contains higher amounts of omega-6 fatty acids than other animal meats, and is high in protein and essential vitamins and minerals such as B6, B12, iron, zinc, and copper.
Recipe for mouth-watering chicken salad
Ingredients –1pound boneless chicken breasts (cut into chunks), 2 stalks chopped celery, ½ seeded and chopped red bell pepper, 4-6 pitted and minced green olives, ¼ cup chopped red onion, ½-1 chopped apple, 1/3 sliced and chopped lettuce or iceberg, 5 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Instructions – Bring a pot with 5 cups of well salted water to boil. Add chicken breast and return the water to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let the chicken sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the chicken salad dressing in a large bowl by mixing mayonnaise, honey and lemon juice. The salad dressing should not be too sweet or too sour. Add salt and pepper. Mixed in the chopped celery, bell pepper, olives, red onion and apple. Dice the chicken and mix it with the dressing and vegetables. When ready to serve, fold in the slice and chopped iceberg lettuce.
We hope you will enjoy cooking these easy and delectable recipes. These ingredients/foods will definitely boost up your immune system and help you in fighting with the deadly virus.
Bon Appetite and Stay Safe!