In one of the unique moves and kind of events in Jaipur, Documentary Resource Initiative (DRI) is organising a reality storytelling documentary workshop in the city – ‘A Conversation‘.
All set to start on 31st August – ‘A Conversation’ is a part of one of DRI’s year-round activities : Documentor – a unique initiative to evoke quality discourses through intense exchanges and workshops. It intends to create an awareness and exposition of high quality artistic content of actuality storytelling among the young aspirant filmmakers and aims at taking the artistic ways of reality storytelling to various regions and platforms.
An interesting and rare concept – A Conversation brings renowned filmmakers and acclaimed documentary films with in-depth discussions on various genres, enriching minds with the creative visions of masters as well as encouraging them to delve into new ways of expressions to voice issues they feel strongly about.
The incubator for inquiring for 18–80 year olds keen to engage with media studies in an open, creative environment. Here, you can kickstart your latent imagination and develop creative and technical excellence through practicable interface with informed mentors, storytelling, hands-on workshops and real life experience.
- Reality storytelling and trends of international documentary – in-depth inquiries into the creative treatment of reality.
- Intensive session with filmmakers after screenings
- Different genres and approach to documentaries – critical deconstruction of internationally acclaimed films.
- International collaborations in documentary
– Sharing of creative thought and styles of treatment across the globe.
– Interactions between various cultures and their different stances and attitude.
– An insight into positioning a film for successful international co-production.
– Case studies of successful global co-productions.
Duration :4 days
Fees: Rs.5000 (Including all meals at the workshop)
Venue – The Open Space Society (TOSS) Jaipur – School of Film Photography and Writing,
Session 1 / Morning / 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Orientation and introductions
Session 2 / Evening / 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Session 3 / Morning / 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- An introduction of the objectives of the programme.
- Reality storytelling and trends of international documentary – In-depth inquiries into the creative treatment of reality.
Session 4 / Afternoon / 2:00 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Introduction of a feature length documentary film by the filmmaker
- Screening of the film.
- Intensive session with the filmmaker – authorial approaches: analyses and critical deconstruction of the film – content, structure, narrative treatment and creative strategies.
Session 5 / Morning / 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Different genres and approach to documentaries – excerpts from some internationally acclaimed films and their critical deconstruction – intent, directorial innovation, cinematography and editing.
Session 6 / Afternoon / 2:00 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Introduction of another acclaimed documentary film by filmmaker.
- Screening of the film.
- Intensive session with the filmmaker –authorial approaches: analyses and critical deconstruction of the film – content, structure, narrative treatment and creative strategies.
Session 7 / Morning / 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Participants’ feedback and open discussions with the mentors and filmmakers present.
Session 8 / Afternoon / 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- International collaborations in documentary – the sharing of creative thought and styles of treatment across the globe; interactions between various cultures and their different stances and attitudes; an insight into the positioning a film for successful international co-production.Case studies and co-pro mapping – Two examples of successful global co-productions.
Session 9 / Evening / 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Daily Evening Screening: Open to all
Maximum Number of Participants – 25-30
So mark your calendars for an event full of stories, drama, intellect and an experience you will never forget 🙂
Documentary Resource Initiative (DRI) is a nonprofit institute that actively supports the storytellers with alternative voices by providing them with training, invaluable exposure to contemporary documentary trends and initiating tangible dialogue. We inspire visual storytellers who dare to risk, innovate and take up challenges for bringing untold truth for public discourses free of commercial or political pressure. We encourage independence of an artist who tackles complex issues and sensitizes others with unique points of view. DRI in its year-round endeavor, brings many such filmmakers of diverse culture and geography in a platform for mutual enrichment. We keep on discovering new talents, nurture & empower them by providing factual and artistic knowledge, help develop skill, advance the co-production possibilities.